Sunday, July 21, 2013

Reading Ruth Chapter 4---Let's Buy a Wife??!!

So this is the type of chapter that makes me struggle with Christianity as a whole.  I do not believe that women are "owned" by anyone and yet when you read the Bible there is so much about how women are "owned" by men and considered pieces of property.  I do realize that this is something that historically happened but it was not something that I feel should be glorified or used as a part of religion today.  Let's not forget that this is not the only place where the Bible teaches that women are less than men.  It is stated that women should submit to their husbands and allow them to be the head of the household.  While I think that you should consult each other I believe that each person in a successful relationship will have an equal voice.  No one will be submitting to anyone and I honestly do not think that submission has a place in a relationship of any type.  I will get to this more later when I study that part of the Bible.

Anyway back to the story.  Ruth is basically bought by Boaz from her mother in law when he buys the land that was owned by Naomi's late husband.  That's right Boaz got to purchase the woman that was working for him and got to make her his wife.  Now it should be pretty obviously to all of you from this story that Boaz was attracted to Ruth.  He showed favor on her a number of times, gave her things that he would not have given others, and shared with her.  This is not the normal treatment of women at that time and this is not something that he was doing with other women.  He was calling Ruth out and making her special. 

So to get this straight, Boaz thought she was pretty, then went about purchasing her as his wife so he could have her to himself.  Seriously??!!??  I do not know how I am the only woman to read this book of the Bible and think that.  I read some different texts about this and it is supposed to be expressing that God is showing favor on her because she is marrying someone so prosperous.  So basically God is saying "here, let me give you a rich husband and I will bless you with bearing a child that will become the lineage of David."  I think that I would look at God and ask what was wrong with him if he were to tell me that I was going to be owned by someone. 

I think that this is completely disrespectful towards women, puts women in a place that is beneath men, and perpetuates some sick idea that men should be able to own women.  As someone who was once married to someone who thought that he owned me let me share one thing.  This type of relationship might be one that is still around today but there is no way that you can tell me that this type of relationship would make a woman as happy as one where she was mutually respected by her husband.

Anyways I do not know where this puts me as far as my faith.  I get that this is historically accurate but to praise her for being a mother and having a son who would eventually be the grandfather of David is kind of odd to me too.  Should my grandpa be praised for passing along his gene pool to me?  Hmm...I don't think so.  Let's just say that greatness can come from any family.  Some of the most successful people in the world came from families that were less.  Some of the most successful families have children who are not successful at all but instead are riding on the coattails of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment